Thursday, December 25, 2008

Interlude

I thought I'd do something a little different and post a bit of music here.

Andrea bought me an octave mandolin as a Christmas gift two years ago, and I've really enjoyed playing it. It has a nice full sound that sounds good even when it's played solo (as opposed to my normal mandolin, which sounds great in a band but is a little too tinny when it's by itself).

St. Anne's Reel is an old fiddle tune that I've been playing on the octave for quite a while. It has a nice melody and it just seems to fit the sound of the instrument very well.

Recently I reworked the song to make it a little more my own. The melody is basically the same, but I stretched it out to twice it's original length (64 bars instead of 32). I didn't want it to sound slow, though, so I grouped the melody into quick little runs and used the extra space I had between the runs to put in more of a chordal background.

Anyway, here it is. It's not a Christmas song, but Merry Christmas all the same.

1 comment:

luke enns said...

sweet tune. ya, that instrument sounds really rich, especially through my new living room speakers. i think i might bring down the ol' 6 string in march when we visit, if it's alright with you.